2018 Bird Guide Training Courses
Unique 4 day course based in Alice Springs
Learn the craft of Bird Guiding from one of Australia's top Bird Guides
Led by Mark Carter, a professional Bird Guide with well over a decade's experience leading bird tours on three continents.
This is a practical course- come prepared to spend a lot of time in the field chasing birds.
Course topics include:
- Bird Finding: Tactics and Tools
- Advanced ID
- Tour Planning & Safety
- Technology for Birding
- Birding as an Industry
- Birding for Science and Conservation
- Some experience birdwatching and ability to identify birds (not necessarily Australian birds!)
Who is this course for?
- Tour Guides
- Park Rangers and Land Managers who interact with visitors
- Volunteer Group Leaders
Two courses will operate in 2018:
- 19th - 22nd Nov
- 30th Nov - 3rd Dec
Will there be good birds?
YES! As part of the course we will using the exceptional bird life of the region as our main training resource. Cryptic birds, skulkers, migratory waders, raptors, habitat endemics are all well represented in the region. Expect to spend time with Dusky Grasswrens, Bourkes Parrots, Slaty-backed Thornbills, Cinnamon Quailthrush, Painted Finch and much more!
What will I get out of the course?
- The skills necessary to operate excellent bird tours
- Transferable skills such as bird ID, tour planning and leadership
- A statement of participation summarising course content
- A participation certificate
What is included in the course?
During course duration: all tuition, all transport, specialist equipment, all entry fees and permits, field breakfast
What is NOT included in the course?
Accomodation, Packed Lunch, Evening Meal, Personal Equipment, Transport to and from Alice Springs
How much does it cost?
$1200 per person (GST inc)