Birds of the Northern Territory: A wildlife journey from Alice Springs to Darwin
The Northern Territory is home to some of the best wildlife in the world. From vast Budgie flocks to huge carnivorous Ghost Bats, delicate shy Grasswrens to loud proud Rainbow Pittas. This new tour offers the unique chance to travel from the desert heart of Australia to the Top End of the NT in search of the finest wildlife on route. We take 6 days to traverse the NT beginning in Alice Springs and finishing in Darwin.
- Timed to compliment both the Red Centre Bird Festival and the Kakadu Bird Week by connecting the two events.
- Genuine small group size: To deliver the best individual experience, there are only four places on this tour.
- Fully inclusive of all food and accomodation.
- We are joined along the way by special guest guides Mick Jerram, Nicola Hanrahan and Luke Patterson.
- Travel is in a comfortable Toyota Landcruiser Prado upgraded to remote travel spec and towing an offload-capable luggage trailer. We can go anywhere we need to!
- This tour is suitable for wildlife watchers, birders and photographers of all experience levels.
- In terms of physical difficulty this tour is rated EASY for individuals with no mobility or other health restrictions.
Day 1- Depart Alice Springs in the morning and travel north visiting Native Gap for Dusky Grasswrens (Central Ranges form) and White-browed Treecreeper, woodlands near Ti Tree for Slaty-backed Thornbill, Barrow Creek for Ground Cuckoo-shrike and Budgie flocks and Devils Marbles for Centralian Pebble Mouse Mounds. Overnight accomodation in Tennant Creek.
Day 2- Early start to visit some of the best birding sites in Tenant Creek- we can expect Painted Finch, Spinifex Pigeon, Rufous-crowned Emuwren, Dusky Grasswren (newly discovered Tennant Creek form). We also spend time looking for the Sandhill Grassswren (Tanami Desert form), a difficult bird but well worth the effort! After lunch we set off to Barkly Homestead with stops at good sites for Chiming Wedgebills, Red-backed Fairywren and our first chance of Flock Bronzewing. Overnight at Barkly Homestead (a regular Grey Falcon location).
Day 3- Early start to head north into the Barkly Tablelands for Flock Bronzewing and Yellow Chat, giant Panoptes Goannas and pugnacious Eyrean Dragons. Also further opportunities for Grey Falcon. Overnight at Cape Crawford.
Day 4- Travel to Katherine with stops on route for grass finches, Frilled Dragon and Red Goshawk. Early afternoon we set off on the Katherine River with star Katherine guide Mick Jerram in search of the Great-billed Heron among others. Overnight Katherine.
Day 5- Early start for Gouldian Finch and Hooded Parrot near Katherine then transit to Pine Creek. Our guide for the night will be mammalogist Nicola Harrahan who will take us on a dusk stakeout to see the magnificent Ghost Bats- the worlds largest carnivorous Bat species. We will also be on the lookout for other tropical species such as Orange Leafnose Bats and Dusky Leafnose Bats present using high-end EchometerPro bat detectors. Overnight in Pine Creek.
Day 6- Travel to Darwin to meet local birding superstar Luke Patterson of NT Bird Specialists for iconic Top End species such as Rainbow Pitta, Little Kingfisher and Chestnut Rail. Tour ends with dinner by the sea at the Wharf precinct in Darwin where we will try for the three dolphin species found in the harbour; Australian Snubfin, Indo-pacific Humpback and Indo-pacific Bottlenose Dolphins.
Book Now with a $1000 deposit.