Sandhill Grasswren- 3 day fully accommodated trips
A 3 day expedition from Alice Springs to see one of Australia's newest and most desirable birds: the Sandhill Grasswren.
- Sandhill Grasswren Amytornis oweni species reinstated in 2013
- 100% success rate over 3 years in finding and viewing this bird
- Several breeding locations on the itinerary
- Other species regularly seen: Inland Dotterel, Banded Whiteface, Cinnamon Quailthrush, Pied, White-fronted and Black Honeyeater, Little Buttonquail, Chiming Wedgebill.
- Chance of Princess Parrot (in suitable seasons)
- Mammals include Spinifex Hopping mouse, Red Kangaroo and Dingo
- Premium accomodation- this could be the most comfortable birding tour in Australia!
- Dedicated photography tour option
- Genuine small group tour- Max 4 birders (3 max on the Photographer's tour)
- Incredible scenery opportunities for landscape and night sky photography
Day One- Depart Alice Springs. Drive with stops at a couple of good general birding spots on-route. We arrive at the first Sandhill Grasswren location late afternoon. Bird hard until sunset then travel to our accommodation.
Day Two- Depart accommodation pre-dawn to get into position in prime Sandhill Grasswren habitat at dawn. Bird until lunchtime. Between noon and 3pm is normally 'down time' for our bird so take the chance to review your photos or relax. Grasswrening begins again at 3pm and continues until dusk.
Day Three- Once again we depart accommodation pre-dawn to get into position in prime Sandhill Grasswren habitat at dawn. We can keep birding into mid morning, then its time to hit the road back to Alice Springs with an estimated time of arrival c.5pm.
Note: Photography special tours are adapted to suit photographers needs- if taking jaw-dropping Grasswren photos is your thing this is the trip for you!
2018 Tour Dates
3rd-5th August* Grasswren Photography Special*
Dates don't suit? Have a look at the "Birds of the Red Centre" 6 day tour which now includes Sandhill Grasswren or get in touch below to arrange a private trip!